Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 1!

I'm back...after a bout of strep throat, then pneumonia, my grandfather passing away, finding out I've been a victim of identity theft (what a mess!) and general Christmas/Holiday craziness, I FINALLY found my way back to the studio after 3 weeks off! I missed my yoga friends, the yoga high and the calmness I feel after practicing. Perhaps, it was a good thing though, in a way, to make me see what a gift to myself it truly is...they say that "absence makes the heart grow fonder".

My first day back was Sunday (27th) and it was not as tough as I thought it might be after such a long absence. The studio was definitely not hot enough...which was probably a blessing for my first day back! :D

Then I practiced with a teacher that I heard about from "everyone", Marcy, who no longer lives in our area, but still teaches when she's in town on holiday. Marcy was everything that I had heard. She's calm, yet energetic...changes the dialogue a bit (gasp!), which helped me immensely and was a just a joy to practice with!

Then I learned that there was only one class on New Year's Eve (9:30am) which I couldn't make and NONE on New Year's Day. I was so disappointed! I convinced myself that it was okay...there was nothing I could do about it as there are no other studios within 120 miles of where I live. Then I got a phone call from my studio inviting me to a "private" class on both New Year's Eve and New Year's Day!!! I was such a happy gal! It turned out a student that typically does private sessions was opening up his privates to a few people to join him for the holidays. What a nice guy, huh?! Thanks John!

So last night I went to the "private" and had breakthrough after breakthrough! It was nice and hot just like I like it.

Just for the record here's the changes I saw/felt:


  • Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Janushirasana--I felt something change in my hip alignment here. My balance was rock solid after this happened. 
  • Janushirashana--My legs finally locked out and head was firmly down on my thigh. 
  • Garudasana--My right leg is solidly curved around and foot is sliding down towards ankle. 
  • Poorna Salabhasana--I feel like I'm getting stronger in this pose and that I'm moving in the right direction. 

I'm off to do my measurements and weight so I can track any changes. I know I should have done them yesterday...but, between skiing, yoga and the then our New Year's Even snowshoeing I was beat! I'm SO looking forward to practice tonight!